Fort Sanders, Tennessee -
ReVIDA® Recovery Knoxville, a recovery center based in Knoxville, TN, has recently published a blog post that answers the question of whether Suboxone® (buprenorphine) increases serotonin levels. Just a single dose of Suboxone® (buprenorphine) can indeed cause serotonin levels to rise, and it has serotonergic effects that are similar to those provided by opioids. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s something negative. Those who take Suboxone® (buprenorphine) in place of other opioids don’t get an abnormal level of serotonin in contrast to what happens due to the opioid they have been taking.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in how people sleep, feel, eat, and interact with their environment. About 90 percent of serotonin is located in the gut and the other 10 percent can be found in the brain. The production of serotonin by the body comes from the amino acid tryptophan, which is found in various common foods such as peanuts, milk, soybeans, and turkey. Serotonin serves as a “messenger chemical” that allows the brain to communicate with various nerve cells in the body. These messages have to do with the digestive system, sex, appetite control, sleep, mood, and the healing of cuts and scrapes.
Serotonin helps the stomach in getting rid of toxins and harmful bacteria. It also works with dopamine to create sexual desire. In addition, serotonin aids in appetite control, which is why those who have low levels of serotonin may feel the urge to eat more. Because it helps with the production of melatonin, it can also affect sleep quality. It also helps narrow down small blood vessels to help with blood clotting. And finally, it affects mood. That is why antidepressants or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) work to increase the levels of serotonin in the brain, allowing a person to become calmer and happier.
It is when serotonin levels are abnormally high that it becomes a problem. This is known as “serotonin syndrome”, and it causes side effects such as restlessness or agitation (needing to move or fidget to feel comfortable); dilated pupils; chills; headaches; high blood pressure; tachycardia (fast heart rate); muscle stiffness; sweating; shivering; and more.
Serotonin syndrome may occur in a person who is taking two serotonin-producing drugs. That is why it is important to take Suboxone® (buprenorphine) only as prescribed by the physician and it is vital to inform the doctor about other medications being taken. It will depend on the doctor to decide whether to prescribe Suboxone® (buprenorphine) when the patient is already taking another kind of SSRI. The doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks of serotonin syndrome. Those who are concerned about this can ask their doctor to reduce their dosages. If the patient ends up with serotonin syndrome, the remedy is simply reducing the doses or changing the medications. There are also medications that may be prescribed to block the production of serotonin.
Suboxone® (buprenorphine) works almost immediately after taking the first dose to help those who are struggling with withdrawal symptoms. It provides relief from the cravings that people managing an addiction usually experience, allowing those who are in recovery to focus on getting healthy, managing their triggers, and on their counseling. At ReVIDA® Recovery, Suboxone® (buprenorphine) is an evidence-based strategy for treating addiction.
ReVIDA® Recovery was established with the goal of helping people achieve recovery after living with an addiction. They have been creating a leading network of outpatient recovery facilities that deliver clinical excellence and the best results in the industry. Their clinical expertise is focused on evidence-based practices, they are proud of their work, and they will aggressively counter any stigma that revolves around opioid use disorder. ReVIDA® Recovery is an extensive behavioral healthcare provider that also uses MAT as part of its broad range of treatment options.
ReVIDA® Recovery promotes safe and healthy communities by empowering individuals to reclaim their lives from opioid use disorder. Those who are interested in getting more information about the services offered by ReVIDA® in Knoxville can call 865-412-8090 or visit their website. They are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, from Monday to Friday.They are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
SOURCE: Press Advantage [Link]
ReVIDA Recovery® promotes safe and healthy communities by empowering individuals to reclaim their lives from opioid use disorder.
October 21, 2022 – ReVIDA Recovery® Knoxville Discusses Fentanyl Identification And Symptoms
August 11, 2022 – ReVIDA Recovery® Knoxville Explains the Signs Suboxone Dose Is Too Low
April 13, 2021 – ReVIDA Founder Details Ways To Help Out Neighbors